|PUBLIC HOUSING||VOUCHER PROGRAM||BEACON COMMUNITIES||PARTNERSHIPS|
|Property Owner||homesa||Private Sector Landlord or Property Management Company||Property Management Company||Single Asset limited partnership or limited liability company|
|How rent is paid||To Opportunity Home||Tenants pay a portion of rent, based on income, to the Landlord or Property Management Company. Opportunity Home pays the remaining portion of rent through Housing Assistance Payments.||Tenant and/or Opportunity Home pays a portion of rent to the Property Management Company||Tenant pays 100% of the rent, unless tenant is a Public Housing client or Voucher client|
|How to apply||Applicants apply online and select up to five properties at which they would prefer to live||Applicants apply online when the waitlist is opened||Applicants apply directly through the property||Applicants apply directly through the property, except PH units in which case Opportunity Home maintains the waiting list|
|Wait Time||2 to 6 years||4 to 7 years||Varies by property||Varies by property|
|Selection Process||Applicants are called from the waitlist, provided available unit options and screened for eligibility||Applicants are called from the waitlist and screened for eligibility||Based on availability||Based on availability|
Apply for Housing
All adult family members must meet the following federal guidelines and applicant screening criteria:
- Be a family as defined in Opportunity Home’s Admissions and Continued Occupancy Policy
- Meet HUD requirements on citizenship or immigration status
- Meet the applicant selection criteria and complete a full application appointment
- Meet the screening requirements related to criminal activity and have accepted prior rental history
- Not have any family members engaged in any criminal activity that threatens the life, health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents, and not have any family members engaged in any drug-related criminal activity.
- Pay any money already owed to Opportunity Home and have an annual income that does not exceed income limits established by HUD (must not exceed 80% of Area Median Income (AMI) based on family size).
SAN ANTONIO, TX HUD METRO FMR AREA
FY 2021 INCOME LIMIT AREA = SAN ANTONIO TEXAS HUD METRO FMR AREA
MEDIAN INCOME = $74,100
|FY 2021 INCOME LIMIT CATEGORY||1 PERSON||2 PERSON||3 PERSON||4 PERSON||5 PERSON||6 PERSON||7 PERSON||8 PERSON|
|EXTREMELY LOW ($) INCOME LIMITS||$15,600||$17,800||$21,960||$26,500||$31,040||$35,580||$40,120||$44,660|
|VERY LOW (50%) INCOME LIMITS||$25,950||$29,650||$33,350||$37,050||$40,050||$43,000||$45,950||$48,950|
|LOW (80%) INCOME LIMITS||$41,550||$47,450||$53,400||$59,300||$64,050||$68,800||$73,550||$78,300|
* The FY 2014 Consolidated Appropriations Act changed the definition of extremely low-income to be the greater of 30/50ths (60 percent) of the Section 8 very low-income limit or the poverty guidelines as established by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), provided that this amount is not greater than the Section 8 50% very low-income limit. Consequently, the extremely low income limits may equal the very low (50%) income limits.
APPLY FOR HOUSING
After reviewing eligibility requirements above, you can apply for Assisted Housing Programs and Public Housing Program through our online application.
Wait times for help can be anywhere between two to six years.
Opportunity Home offers a limited amount of Emergency Housing Vouchers for families who need immediate assistance because they are experiencing homelessness or domestic violence and are referred by the South Alamo Regional Alliance for the Homeless (SARAH). Other organizations outside of Opportunity Home who offer immediate assistance can be found here for more information.
You may also learn more about other income-based housing options here.
AFTER YOU APPLY
Please keep your personal contact information up to date. When your application reaches the top of the waitlist, you will be notified by regular mail. If we are unable to contact you due to a change of address, you will be removed from the waitlist. After applying, you are required to update any changes in your name, address, phone number, email address, income and family size. All changes must be completed in the Opportunity Home Applicant Portal.
FINAL APPLICATION & SCREENING PROCESS
When an applicant’s name reaches the top of the waitlist, they will receive a letter with instructions on how to begin the eligibility process. Information provided to Opportunity Home by the applicant will be verified for accuracy and eligibility.